Square-Enix is keeping the news on Kingdom Hearts III coming, showing a trailer during their showcase this morning that was predominantly a rehash of their last two trailers; the Frozen trailer shown during Microsoft’s pre-E3 briefing and, according to those that have seen it, the previously closed-to-the-public World Tour Orchestra trailer.
You can check out the trailer above. Since half of the trailer focused on the world reveal for Arendelle, I will focus instead on the footage from the other half.
The gameplay and story elements revealed in this trailer include:
- A new attraction flow technique at Sora’s command, one based on the King Arthur Carrousel in Fantasyland. As you can expect, the technique has a fixed radius, so it’s best to use this one in the middle of a pack of baddies.
- A new minigame featuring Remy from Ratatouille. In this game, Remy perches himself on top of Sora’s head and helps him cook, much like he did for Linguini in his movie. Based on footage from the Classic Kingdom trailer, it seems this minigame will take place in Twilight Town.
- Braig/Xigbar is indeed back, telling Sora to find the hearts connected to his. Given the scenery, it looks like this takes place in Olympus.
- Sora, Donald and Goofy, while in Yen Sid’s tower, are reunited (again) with Riku and King Mickey. Given that Sora is still wearing his Kingdom Hearts II garb, this could take place at the beginning of the game, or be a flashback.
- Everyone’s favorite Twilight Town teenager trio, Hayner, Pence and Olette (you thought I was going to say Seifer, Rai and Fuu? Forget those guys), are booking it from Heartless. You know guys, I know you normally love scarfing down sea salt ice cream on top of that massive clock tower, but maybe it’s time to move.
- Sora is back in Twilight Town, talking with Ansem: Seeker of Darkness and Xemnas about bringing Roxas back. And it appears the two of them are goading him to proceed.
- Still in Twilight Town, in Ansem the Wise’s basement stronghold in the old mansion, one of his former pupils, Ienzo, seems to want to help Sora bring back Roxas.
- We then get a brief shot of Lea and Kairi overlooking a forest as the sun begins to set. Are we still in Twilight Town? It does seem to be the place for tutorial levels, and those two need a tutorial. (With the keyblade. Minds out of the gutter, if you please.)
And that’s all for the Square-Enix showcase trailer, but that’s not all for Kingdom Hearts III. Yet another new trailer was revealed during Sony’s E3 showcase, this one revealing Sora and the gang’s return to the world of Pirates of the Carribean. There is quite a lot to unpack with that latest trailer, both from a presentation and gameplay standpoint, so stay tuned with Geekpiphany, as I will publish an analysis of the latest trailer.